Saturday, July 17, 2010

July 8th-18th 2010


As I have been super busy recently this weeks blog is incorporating ten days of wonderment and roadie times. In the last ten days I have travelled over to Barcelona and back and graduated from University, so here are this weeks scores.

Watching??
One hot night in sunny Barcelona we settled down onto the sofa to watch a little movie.It wasn't my choice but we watched the 2006 film 'Little Miss Sunshine'. The film follows a disfunctional family who are falling apart at the seams. It follows a little girl called Olive (played by Abigail Breslin) who has entered herself into a beauty pageant, just at the same time her mother Sheryl (played by Toni Collette)has her suicidal gay brother, Frank (played by Steve Carrell) move into the family home. Olive's father is a failing motivational speaker who doesn't get a crucial book deal and her brother has taken a vow of silence until he gets his dream career of being a RAF pilot, also because he hates the family. It turns out the whole family has to go to the pageant but they hit trouble along the way. Sounds confusing doesn't it? but it is a really funny and heart warming film that filled the void that night.

It receives 7/10 and I would reccomend it but it does need a second look.


Reading?
While in Barcelona I read a very interesting and simple to read book called The Information Officer by Mark Mills. This book follows Max a headstrong army officer stationed on the ravaged island of Malta In the second world war. Who among other things is in charge of the British Army's involvement with the local Maltese people who are reliant on them. Max discovers that some of the local girls who work at the dance bars, are being raped and murdered by a British Army officer. It is up to Max to find out who the murderer is, what he wants and protect the local beauty he loves. This book is well written but at times I felt like I was having a history lesson on the second world war. And although there is a good twist there isn’t enough action in the book to keep me interested in the murders and murderer. And there are some very uncomfortably raunchy scenes which are entirely male focused.

Sadly this book only gets a 5/10

Wearing??.
While on holiday I realised that every single outfit was from Topshop. My favourite thing that I wore was a strapless peach dress which had white embroidery on the bottom. It was incredibly comfortable And pretty! I got lots of compliments for it off my boyfriend and other tourists. The only problem with it was that I couldn’t wear a bra..which was a bit dodgy... but it was ok. I really like this dress and I got it half off in the Topshop sale so I got it for £15.00 so I recommend the sale for some cheap summer holiday bargains. The good thing about this dress was that it was light, comfortable and could be worn over anything, to the beach or to the city.


I give my Topshop dress a 8/10

Listening?


I have been listening to a personal favourite of mine, a real summery album by Paolo Nutini called Sunny Side Up. This is his second album and was released in May 2009, and was a definite and sharp change from his first album. The singles he released from it are ‘Candy’ and ‘A Pencil full of lead’ which divided the critics as some wanted him to have the same mellow light jaz-pop sound he had before, whereas this album is more reggae meets soul. On the first listen I hated it as it was so different, but I really recommend that you give a second, third, fourth etc listen as it gets better and better. My favourite songs are the croony romantic ones which Paolo is brilliant at singing as his lyrics are beautiful.

Paolo Nutinit gets a 9/10 only because he’s gorgeous as well as talented.

Eating??
I was pleasantly surprised in Liverpool John Lennon Airport on the way to Barcelona, there is a Frankie and Benny's restaurant. wWhich was good as it was very early in the morning and the onl thig we fancied was bacon, eggs and mushrooms and strong coffee. Persanlly I am always a Frankie and Benny's fan, I love all the food, but had never had the breakfasts before, but they were lovely and good value. I had the breakfast bagel my only criticism was that it was too big for me that early. Bt the herby potatoes were so delicious I coud have just eaten a plate of them. The staff at the airport restaurant were brilliant too, they were really helpful and cheery for so early in the morning.
Frankie and Benny's breakfast get an 8/10.

Using?


Recently I have been using a JML Ped Egg to get myself some lovely and soft feet for summer. My feet are well know for being ugly, claw like and rock rock hard! I hate them and most of the time I’m in a bit of pain with them. I got myself a new ped egg recently as my old one had gone dull and wasn’t working. This surprised me as I hadn’t ued it for ages, but on buying a new one I’ve seen what I’ve been missing. The razor blades aren’t too sharp and don’t cause any pain or bleeding, they very gently remove hard skin in all places and leave your feet soft and clean. My only criticism is that the egg doesn’t hold all the skin filings which is a bit disgusting at times, but I would recommend this handy little gadget to everyone

Ped Egg gets a 8/10.



Purchasing?

This week I graduate from University and I needed shoes! I really wanted some sensible but pretty shoes that had a heel but not too high a heel that would also match my navy dress I was wearing and the horrible grey and white of my graduation gown. Eventually I found a suitable pair in Office in Manchester. Although some of their high heels area slightly eccentric this pair are white heels with a Mary Jane sort of feel with the little white strap on the front. On wearing them over two days they did hurt my feet as they were quite stiff to walk in and for some reason dyed my feet orange from the lining, I did receive some blisters but thats usual from new shoes, but I did like the shoes very much and will go to Office again.

My Office shoes get a 9/10



Doing?

As you have probably guessed the last few weeks have been very very busy I finished university and then popped off to Barcelona. I love Barcelona, the city is beautiful and full of people. The Sagrada Famillia is my favourite part of Barcelona it was designed by Gaudi who imagined things very differently to other architects, and it really is a beautiful building. It’s not finished yet and has taken them nearly a hundred years to complete. Parc Guell is also a Gaudi masterpiece which I would recommend everyone going to go see, we also went all through the city down to the beautiful marina and went round the old town. It was an action packed holiday! As well as city sight seeing we went to lovely little beach in San Pau which was beautiful and we had delicious paella and the sea and sand was perfect for our aching feet. I love Barcelona and would recommend everyone to go as it is a wonderful city.

10/10 thats all I can say for my holiday in Barcelona

Thanks for reading this weeks instalment, I’m going to try and keep up with my posts each week from now on but I’m hoping for a calmer and more chilled out week next week!


Much love!! XXX

No comments:

Post a Comment