Monday, June 21, 2010

Sunday June 20th 2010


Howdy! this week I have crossed the Yokshire border, and returned home like the prodigal son!

Watching?


This week I have gone back to a time of perfume, jewels, glamour and curlers. A time where a man was only as good as his moustache and paycheck and women were just plain B-E-A utiful! This is otherwise known as the fifties. Yes, I carried on my love of all things Marilyn Monroe, and thoroughly enjoyed ‘How to Marry a Millionaire’. This film is just a classic, and stars the delightful Betty Grable as Loco Dempsey, the beautiful Lauren Bacall as Schatze Page, and my hero Marilyn Monroe as Pola Debevoise. It was written by Nunnally Johnson and directed by the one and only Jean Negluscoe. The story follows the three women as they move into a New York Penthouse, on the hunt to marry millionaires. They meet millionaires who are either very old, very fake or very married. And when it seems that none of them will ever find love they all meet and marry their Mister Right! Loco, heads to Maine with an older married millionaire who she doesn’t like or fancy, and eneds up catching the measles, passing it to him and having an amazingly wonderful week with a very strapping forest rancher called Eben, played by Rory Calhoun. Pola gets engaged to a millionaire, with a fake eye patch, but as she never wears her glasses, gets the wrong flight to meet him and meets a glasses wearing hottie called Freddie Denmark, played by David Wayne, who is on the run from the IRS and is actually a millionaire, if he ever gets his money back. Pola ends up falling in love with him after he tells her she is beautiful in her glasses! And Schatze constantly turns down the handsome Tom Brookman, played by Cameron Mitchell, for dates over and over again as she assumes he is a poor man, even though she is secretly attracted to him. And after nearly marrying an old millionaire who she doesn’t love, decides she loves him regardless of his poor paycheck marries him instead, just to find out he is a millionaire!

All in all this film is charming, romantic, extremely funny in places, and as I am a Marilyn fan I must give it a very high score of 9/10

Reading?


This week I have been reading ‘The Secret Life of Bees’ by Sue Monk Kidd published in 2002. This story follows a young girl called Lilly who lives her life thinking she is responsible for the death of her mother who was shot when she was four. At fourteen she has a miserable life with her Father T.Ray who only cares about himself and the peach farm they live on, her only friend is a black servant called Rosaleen. One day as Rosaleen heads into town to register to vote, she is beaten by local men, and Lilly takes it upon herself to save Rosaleen, and follows a trail left by her mother, a picture of Black Madonna, the logo for a honey making company. The small company is run by three sistets, August, June and May who take them in, no questions asked. And the table is turned on Lilly as she becomes the only white person in a black home, and as she learns more about the mysteries of her mother’s life, she lives and works with August and her sisters, no thought for her father and the angry men folk of her home town who are on their trail!

This book is brilliantly written, hard to put down, and extremely packed full of American history. It’s a compelling story which can at times however be a bit slow. Therefore The Secret Life of Bees gets a 7/10

Wearing?


This week I went to visit a very good friend of mine from school in Liverpool! And as it was a celebration of an end of degrees and such and a going out on the town night, I couldn’t think what to wear! I ended up buying a new dress off ASOS.com. Now I’ve used ASOS before, and although you can get some amazing clothes for a cheap price you can also end up waiting around for the package so I recommend you order in advance of the occasion. The great thing about ASOS is the amount of clothing there is to look at and purchase. They have designer clothing, looks based on those of celebrities so you can look like you’re favourite star, and the quality isn’t too bad. I got a new dress with a black top which had a sweetheart neckline, and an oyster pink skirt just above my knee. It was slightly ‘boobish’ at times, but two girls in a club thought it looked nice and asked me where I’d got it. So all in all it was a good buy, the price wasn’t too bad either as it was £35.00 which for a dress like that is quite good.

My final score for ASOS is a 6/10, as the amount of clothing is good, and the quality is good but the delivery is a bit nerve wracking. But I would recommend it to those of you in a tight fix and need a quick outfit for an occasion.


Listening?


This week as I have previously mentioned, and which is turning into a common theme in this blog, is that I went to Liverpool. I had to get the train as I can’t stand driving into unknown city centres and finding places to park, it can be a nightmare. While I was on the train I put on my ipod and the first album that it chose to play was Beyonce ‘I Am...Sasha Fierce’. I love this album, there are two CDS the first one which is ‘I am’ and is full of beautiful, slow gorgeous songs such as ‘If I were a Boy’ and ‘Halo’. Which lulled me into a dreamy state on the horrible train, but it was then transferred to the second section, ‘Sasha Fierce’ which has belters on it like ‘Sweet Dreams’, ‘Diva’, ‘Single Ladies’ and ‘Radio’, which got me ready for the night ahead. This CD is great for all kinds of people and suits whichever mood you’re in. Beyonce is a talented and beautiful singer, and her music is just brilliant and ahead of it’s time. I love this Cd and it is a must for all Beyonce fans!

Beyonce you get a bootilicious 8/10 mwah

Eating?


This week I have eaten at Scream Bar in Liverpool (of course). I was starving after my long journey and just wanted some nice and easy food. Scream Bar is a student hot spot and has some really cool music, sofas, pool table and interesting people. The food was delicious and the staff were lovely! We ordered Cheeseburgers which were served with delicious chips and onion rings and arrived really quickly. It’s no aute cuisine but it is delicious pub grub and is a nice bargain bucket too. The atmosphere was excellent too until the football came on which was horrendously boring. Another downfall was the toilet which was upstairs which after two bottles of Brother’s pear cider is hard work and it wasn’t the cleanest of loos either!

Scream Bar receieves a delightful 7/10

Using?


This week I have used First Transpennine Trains to order my train ticket to Liverpool from Stalybridge. I booked it three days ahead and thought it would be very expensive, but after doing a little testing, I got an open return to and from Liverpool for only £9.30! if I had got a return on a certain day on certain train it would have been £16.00 which is a huge saving!It got me there in an hour and ten too which is really quick as the trains don’t stop at every stop possible like others do. I really like First Transpennine trains they’re really quick and smooth, and the seats are comfy. They come frequently and until later and I’m really pleased with their service.

First Transpennine you get a 8/10 because your food trolley knocked my arm and I have a bruise


Purchasing?


This week I have purchased a new foundation for myself, as I was sick of my other one always wearing off after a few hours. So I got Maybelline New York Dream Satin Liquid in Sand. I really like it it covers really well and blends easily but it doesn’t feel like you have much make up on at all. It says on the back that it is an air whipped formula and is like a light mousse in a liquid designed to cover every pore. Now I don’t think it covers every pore but it does feel very light which is good for the summer months. It also gives a slight luminosity to the skin, but sadly doesn’t last as long as I’d hoped for, I have to set it with a bit of powder after application but all in all it is a good foundation that doesn’t smell too bad and is a good price.

Maybelline Dream Satin Liquid receives a 6/10

Doing?


This week I have been celebrating the end of my university days by getting utterly wasted in Liverpool with my best mate. We went to Cava a very awesome Tequila bar which was amazing, the amount of different flavoured tequila and for only a pound a shot! (the chilli shot however was awful and very spicy!). We also went to Popworld which was really cheesy and we had an amazing pitcher of cocktails which were served in a giant cocktail glass which I want for my house. The music however was good but the DJ extremely annoying and most of the time we wanted to punch him in the back of the head. The third place we ventured was Krazy House, which is a large club with three different floor each with different types of music, the first heavy metal music, the second floor was punky/rock music and the top floor was indie and pop music. This club is really cool with the different floors and it had a different atmosphere on each floor with different decor too. It was slightly empty but that was because most of the students had already left for home for the summer.

Liverpool night life gets a huge 9/10, it gets a slight knock down because of the annoying DJ at Popworld and the lack of people in some places. But is a fantastic night out I would recommend to anyone.

Well tarra and tallyhoe for this week! See you soon!


Roadie Love XXX

No comments:

Post a Comment